How to Win the Trudeau Foundation Scholarship in Canada (PhD)
Scholarship programs have been designed to enable students to receive a world-class education, which is offered by Canadian institutions. One such scholarship offered is the Trudeau Foundation Scholarship. Both domestic and international students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
To win the Trudeau Foundation Scholarship for PhD students, you have to first of all create an account on the application portal of the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation. Afterwards, you will provide certain information about yourself, such as demography, doctoral projects and themes, referees, transcripts, just to mention a few.
Winning a scholarship as a PhD student often looks unlikely. Nevertheless, read on as we explore a step-by-step guide on how you can win the Trudeau Foundation Scholarship offered in Canada for PhD students. Furthermore, we will discuss the eligibility requirements and selection process.
About the Trudeau Foundation
The Trudeau Foundation is a non-profit organization that provides financial support to PhD students in the humanities and social sciences. Each year, a minimum of 12 doctorate scholars are chosen, who also get considerable financing for their education as well as leadership development within the framework of Brave Spaces, in addition to generous funding for their studies.
The goal of this three-year leadership project is to develop engaged leaders who can put their ideas to work for the benefit of their environment, Canada, and the rest of the globe. The Foundation’s four motifs are Canada and the world; responsible citizenship; human rights; dignity; and people and their natural environment.
About The Trudeau Foundation Scholarship
The Trudeau Foundation scholarship is a $50,000 award for PhD students from developing countries who are studying at Canadian universities. The program was created in 2011 by the Trudeau Foundation, which operates under the direction of Pierre Elliott Trudeau and members of his family. It aims to support students from around the world who want to pursue advanced degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Here are some peculiarities of scholarship you should know:
- The scholarship is for PhD students from developing countries who are studying at Canadian universities.
- The scholarship is for students going into their third year of PhD level studies in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
- The scholarship is awarded based on academic excellence and research potential.
- The scholarship is not available to students who are already studying in Canada.
- The scholarship is for students at Canadian universities who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- The scholarship is for students going into their fourth year of PhD level studies in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The scholarship winners will participate in conferences; attend community retreats; collaborate with other scholars; and work on creative projects with mentors.
The University of Ottawa, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, University of Waterloo, University of Alberta, and other universities are a few that have partnerships with the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation.
The Eligibility Requirements of the Trudeau Foundation Scholarship
In order to apply for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Scholarship, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must be enrolled full-time in a doctoral program, have been accepted into it, or be in your first or second year of study there, with an expected completion date of 2025 or later.
- Your subject of study broadly relates to the human sciences or humanities that have a direct bearing on Canada’s future.
- A minimum of one of the Foundation’s four themes—people and their natural environment, responsible citizenship, human rights and dignity, and Canada and the world—must be related to your PhD study.
- Be a citizen of Canada by enrolling in a PhD program at a Canadian school or a non-Canadian (a Canadian permanent resident, or both).
If you meet these requirements, then it’s time to start applying! An application for this scholarship award opens on February 1st, 2020 and closes on January 30th, 2021.
How to Apply for, and Win The Trudeau Foundation Scholarship In Canada (PhD)
All interested and qualified applicants may submit an application directly to the Foundation for consideration for the national competition. For the University of British Columbia, for example, a subgroup of applicants for the national competition is no longer recommended. You can apply online through their website or send an email directly to them.
The first step to applying for the Trudeau Foundation Scholarship for PhD students is to create an account on the application portal of the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation. After logging in, you’ll find a “Draft Section.” Fill in the application form. The next step is to fill in your contact details in the “Contact Section.” Submit your transcripts and letters of reference with certified translations.
Once applications have been submitted, one student per department (up to four candidates per university) will be nominated by departments to the selection panel. The following criteria will be used to evaluate the same:
- Community Participation
- Academic prowess
- Boldness and originality
- To promote knowledge transmission and public discourse
- Thematic correspondence between research and the Foundation’s main themes
- Talents in communication.
- Leadership skills and experience
Does The Trudeau Foundation Offer Scholarships Only For PhDs?
Yes, the scholarships offered by the foundation are only for PhD level. No provision has yet been made for master’s or undergraduate scholarships.
How Long Is the Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Valid?
It is valid for only three years without extensions.
To Wrap Up
The Trudeau Foundation offers several scholarships to students who are highly eligible for competitive programs such as PhDs. The Trudeau Foundation Scholarship for PhD Students is a prestigious scholarship program in Canada that has been running for over 25 years now. If you are interested in studying at a university in Canada and want to apply for this scholarship, then we hope that this article has been helpful!